Friday, September 4, 2009

City Bound. Part2


--Chapter3--

When 6 o'clock rolled around, we changed our outfits and fixed our make-up. "See ya." Hernan said, as we left the apartment. "Bye Hunn." Steph said. "Talk to you later." I said, as Steph and I walked away. "So I was thinking we could just catch the sky train to Commercial Drive and then walk up the street? We could take the bus, but it's kind of gross." "Yeah, I vote we walk, I hate public transit." I replied. "Okay." she replied, walking towards the door that led out of the building. The walk to the sky train was nearly silent, which was alright, it was nice to have a chance to think, and take in the city, and it was only a five minute walk to the Gilmore skytrain station. "Okay, I'll just grab the tickets and we can head up." "Alright." I said, watching her press various buttons on the screen of the machiene. "Okay, here you go." she said, handing me my ticket. We headed up the stairs and to the waiting area. Within a minute a sky train screeched to a halt in front of us and a load of people exited the train. "Lets sit over here," Steph said, walking towards the back of the skytrain, and sitting down. "Okay," I said, following her. As we sat there staring out the window, we chatted about her work, and what I planned to do with my future. Aunt Steph gives amazing advice, I must say. She gives almost the same advice as any other adult, but the way she says it makes you want to listen, and actually use the advice to your own advantage. Three stops later, we got off the sky train and went back down a flight of stairs, and started walking down The Drive. It was amazing, there was different bits of art everywhere. The side walks had random paintings, some of the tiles cemented in the sidewalks had various art bits scratched into them, there were set ups of people drawing portraits of people, or creatic scenic paintings. There was a lot of color, and a range of people from homeless to high-end classy. There were several little resturants with patios that were full. The smell of all the different foods made my stomach growl, good thing we were heading to a restaurant. We passed a few cutes boutiques and a corner store or two. Finally, about five to ten minutes later, we showed up at the door of a little Cuban restaurant. There was a line up backed up outside of the restaurant. "Excuse me?" Steph asked the lady, "Yes?" she replied. "How long will it take for a seat?" Steph asked. "Well, if you want to eat on the patio, an hour and a half, to two hours, if you want to eat inside, I can seat you right now." "Okay, we'll sit inside, thank you." Steph said, "Okay, right this way." the lady said, smiling and walking towards a table. "Here are some menus, and what would you like to drink?" she asked us. "I'll have a red wine, please." Steph said, "Okay, and you?" the lady said looking at me, "I'll have an iced tea, please." "Sure." she said, disappearing into the kitchen. "So what do you think your going to get?" Steph asked. "I'm not too sure, I don't even understand what it says!" "A lot of it is written in Spanish, what type of food do you want?" Steph asked, "Is there anything spicy?" "Not really, there are a lot of sea food dishes, and pastas, though." she replied. "Okay," I said, flipping to the pasta section. "The Pesca Linguini looks really good." I said, looking at what it had in it. "Yeah, it is like a pasta covered with different sea foods, like shrimp, muscles, and I'm not too sure what else." "Okay." I said. The lady came back with the drinks. "Thank you," Steph and I replied in unison. "Do you guys know what you want? Or do you need more time?" "I think we're ready." Steph said looking towards me. "Can I get the Pesca Linguini?" I asked, handing her my menu. "Totally, and you ma'am?" Steph ordered. "No problem," the lady said, wandering back to the kitchen, again. Steph and I talked some more, she told a few stories about past boyfriends and relationships, and some about her childhood and experiences. The stories of her growing up, and her whole life seemed fascinating. If I had to chose a role model for my life, I'd definately pick my Aunt Steph.

After dinner, we went into a room in the back of the restaurant where there was a small art gallery, tons of photographs were framed and put in this room, Steph said they consistantly change the pictures. We circled the room and "ooh"ed and "awwwe"d at the different pictures, and then left the restaurant. "What time is it?" I asked, Steph looked at her phone. "9 o'clock, wow, I didn't think time would pass that fast." "Wow." I said, again looking around at the different people and arts. Two people were just finishing up their side-walk paintings on the corner. "Those are gorgeous," I said, talking to Steph, but kind of hoping the artists had heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment