Friday, September 4, 2009

City Bound. Part1


This is a small story I am writing based on my recent experience to Vancouver B.C.

--Chapter 1--
A few weeks ago my cell rang while I was checking some emails. "Hello?" I asked. "Hey, its Auntie Steph" a voice replied. "Oh hi!" I said, excited to hear from her after not talking to her for almost a year. I guess time takes us by surprise with how fast it passes. "How has your summer been?" Steph asked me. "Good! How about yours?" I replied. "Good, just been working a lot and working towards finishing school, finally." "That sounds awesome." "Yeah, so what have you been doing this summer?" "Not a lot, mostly hanging out with friends, playing on the computer, and sleeping." "That sounds fun. Hey, I had an idea. I haven't seen you in a while, so I was wondering if you'd like to come visit me this weekend? I could pick you up on Thursday when I'm out for business. I live in West Burnaby now." "Really? That sounds amazing! I'll ask my parents." "Okay, you can text or call me back, this is my cell number, okay?" "Okay, sounds good." "Alright, I'll talk to you later, bye, oh yeah, don't forget your bathing suit, there is a pool and a jacuzzi here." "Okay! See ya!" I replied and we hung up.

Okay, so I know a ton of people know exactly what it's like being in the city, or they've at least experienced it. The closest thing I got to a city was Surrey, and I was only there until I was 7 so it's not like I got to experience much. All that was running through my head was how lucky I was to get to see my Aunt again, to visit her new home, and to explore some of downtown Vancouver.

"Mom?" I called, as I ran up the stairs. "Yeah?" she replied. "I just got a call from Aunt Steph asking if I'd like to visit her this Thursday, can I go?" I asked. "Sure, sounds good, when will you be back?" "Friday night or Saturday morning." "Okay, thats great, I work in Surrey on Friday so I could pick you up." "Okay, I'll let her know." I said pulling my phone out of my pocket and sending her a text saying that I was alowed and she could just drop me off at Mom's work on Friday. "I'm going to go pack, theres only two days until I leave." I said heading back down the stairs to my bedroom.

I pulled my over-night suitcase out of its place in the corner, and laid it on the bed. "What should I bring?" I asked myself. Never having been in the city quite often I pondered what I should bring. Approximately five minutes later I stood up and walked over to the dresser. "Okay, city people dress casual, but classy, high-end, but not over-the-top dramatic." I said. Opening my shirt drawer. Wow, this would be hard. I mean, in my town, I care about what I look like, but I don't put too much time into thinking about what to wear. I carefully searched through my shirts, pulling each one out and looking at it, deciding weather it was good enough, or not. Some shirts are really easy to tell about the city, you just know that some are not meant for a place like that. After going through all of my shirts, I chose a red long sleeve semi-button up top with a white tank-top underneath, a seperate white tank-top to wear, a neon yellow tank top, my "I love rock" tee-shirt, and a black tank-top. For pants I chose two pairs of jeans, my dark skinnie jeans, and my light-grey boot-cut jeans, I also picked a pair of pink athletes shorts. I packed my multi-colored striped bikini-top with my brown bikini-bottoms. Then came shoes, oh how I love shoes. I couldn't figure out what ones to bring. I have a small book-shelf stacked with shoes, each one fits different types of outfits. For a two-day trip, I picked out five pairs of shoes, my brown high-heels, my jean high-heel sandals, my walking flip-flops, my water flip-flops, and my runners. Then came hair-supplies and make-up. Make up wasn't too hard, I usually have a travel pack already set to go, just in case something like this were to come up, and hair wasn't too bad either. I packed my straightener, my blow dryer, my brush, my shampoo and conditioner, and some hair elastics incase I wanted to pull it back into a pony tail. I made a mental note to pack my toothbrush and toothpaste the day we were going to leave, since I would still need them for the next couple of days. I moved the bag to my couch, and then sat down to watch some t.v.

The next two days seemed quite slow to pass, but finally they did, and the day she was coming to pick me up had finally arrived. I woke up Thursday morning around 11, mom had already left for work, and Dad was watching over some kids, which was Mom's second job, her daycare. I crawled out of my bed and hopped up the stairs. "Good morning," Dad greeted me when I got to the top. "Morning, how are you?" I asked. "Alright, yourself?" "Not too bad." I said walking into the kitchen. I pulled out the blender and threw in some milk, fruit, yogurt, and a couple drops of vanilla extract, and whipped up a smoothie. The smoothie was delicious, I put it in a large glass and cleaned the blender, then sat down to drink my smoothie. "What are you doing today?" Dad asked. "Well, I think I'll just lay around and let the day pass me until Aunt Steph gets here, she said she'll be here around 3 o'clock." "Okay." Dad said, going into the living room to sit down and watch t.v. When I finished my smoothie I rinsed it out and left the glass in the sink and went downstairs to clean up my room a bit, and make my bed.

As I finished spreading up the comforter of my bed, I was deciding what to do next. I chose to check my emails, since it was quarter to twelve, I had a ton of time left until Aunt Steph was coming. I turned on Mom's computer and waited as the screen lit up, and everything loaded. I love the sound of a computer when it starts up, the little gears and gadgets all beginning to do their job, it's like music to my ears. I opened up msn and logged in, within a minute, I had seven people talking to me, some were messages that people sent last night, after I had logged off. I searched my contacts to see if anyone I wanted to talk to was online. Nope. I opened up the browser and typed in 'www.hotmail.com' and logged in. Lots of junk mail. Next I checked my facebook. Nothing too interesting happening on there. I looked at the clock. It was only 12:15. What now? I wondered. I logged off of everything and went back into my bedroom. Looking around, I decided to watch a movie. I looked at my shelf and pulled off "The Tigger Movie". I love Tigger. As I popped it in the VHS player, I turned the t.v onto Video 2, and sat down.

--Chapter 2--
At 1:45 I recieved a text from Aunt Steph, it read 'Hey, I'll be a little early, maybe closer to two.' "Yes!" I said outloud. 'Okay.' I replied. I grabbed my suitcase and wheeled it out to near the front door, and ran upstairs. "Aunt Steph said she'll be here in about fifteen minutes." I told my Dad, "Okay" he replied. I went into the bathroom and pulled my hair back into a pony-tail, and grabbed my toothbrush and toothpaste to put them in my bag. I stood on the deck looking over for about ten minutes, taking in the mountains and trees, and small houses in my small town, and then went back inside. I went downstairs to put the toothbrush and toothpaste in my bag, then went back upstairs to sit in the living room with my Dad. "So when does Mom get off work tomorrow?" I asked. "I'm not too sure, ask her later tonight." he said, glancing at me, then back to the t.v. "Okay." I said. I stood up to look out the window, Auntie Steph pulled into the drive way. Our dogs started to bark, "No" I said firmly, as I ran down the stairs to open the door for her. "Hello." I said, "Hi" she replied, I backed up a bit so she could come in. She stepped in and my Dad came part way down the stairs to say hello. "Hi, Chuck." Steph said, smiling and looking at him. "Hey, come on in." Dad said. "Okay," Steph said, walking towards the stairs. She was about to take off her shoes when Dad replied "Oh, no don't worry about your shoes, we have to clean the floors anyways." "Oh, okay." She said, and then she started to head up the stairs. "This is the living room, ignore the dogs, they're loud, but harmless." "Okay." she said "Thats Fiddich, Dad's dog," I said pointing at our newest dog who is tiny, "That's Maggie, Mom's dog," I said, pointing at our terrier, another small dog, "And that's my dog, Jake." I said, pointing at my lab. "Cute!" she exclaimed, looking at them all. "Yeah." I said. We walked through the rest of the house, showing her the different rooms. I showed her my room last. "Okay, so are you ready to go?" She asked, when we were done looking at the house. "Yes." I said, grabbing my suitcase and my purse. I threw on my runners and said good bye to my Dad, then followed Aunt Steph out the door to her car. "You can put your bags in the trunk, here I'll open it." she said, pulling it open and I put my suitcase in. "So how's your day been?" she asked, as we got into the car. "Pretty good, very slow." I said. "Oh yeah, I had a few customers, Hope sure is small." she said, commenting on the town. "Yes, it is." I said.

The two hour drive didn't seem too long, the whole time we were talking about life, boys, experiences, interests, and what we wanted to do while I was out. As we parked, she waved across the parking lot. "Hey!" she said. "Hi, how was your day?" her fiance Hernan asked, walking towards us. "Pretty good!" "That's good, Hi Julie." he said looking at me. "Hello" I replied, smiling. "Lets go inside." he said, walking towards the door. Steph and I followed. Their house was only down the hallway a little bit. When I walked in, a fat orange cat greeted us at the door. Well, them, I don't think she was expecting to see me, she was a little skitty once she saw me, and decided to run and hide under the bed. "Don't worry about it," my Aunt said, "she doesn't really like company, we rescued her from the SPCA." "Oh, okay." I said, "Where should I put my bags?" I said, looking around the appartment. "Just in that room over there, the computer room." Steph said, pointing towards a door. "Okay." I said, rolling my bag into the room. It was a very cute, small appartment, I really liked it. As you walked in the door, to your right was a door to the bathroom, and to your left was a little kitchen, when you were in there, you could see over the counter into a small sitting space, which attached to the living room, it was all one room for those three, then there was the computer room, and their bedroom. Their bedroom also had its own bathroom. Hernan started cleaning a bit, Wow, a man that cleans! I thought. "You can go on the computer whenever you like," Steph said, pointing towards her laptop, "but the wireless doesn't work on my business computer, which I am just going to go on for a second and let every one know I'm taking the day off tomorrow, maybe I'll take Monday off too." she said, walking into the room and turning on her work computer. "Sweet." I said, turning on the t.v. and switching through some channels. "Do you like video games?" Hernan asked. "Yes." I replied. "We have a ps2 with Grand Torino, my favorite, if you like racing games." "Okay," I replied, he hooked up the ps2 and helped me get started. "Driving an automatic might be easier, if you haven't played before, then you don't have to change the gears, it will do it for you." "Okay," I said, picking out a Volkswagon Golf, automatic, same car as Aunt Steph has. I started a race. I played around for a while with the game, trying to figure out how to gain better control over the car. After about a half an hour, I decided to switch back to watching the t.v. I put it on my favorite channel, Much Music, and laid back in the chair to watch the t.v. "So what do you want for dinner tonight? We can go out to a restaurant." Steph said, "What type of food do you like?" she asked. "I like pretty much anything, I like spicy foods, a lot." I said. "Okay." she answered. "Well, this food isn't exactly spicy, but I know a great little Cuban restaurant on The Drive, we can have Korean food for lunch tomorrow, if you want?" she said. "Sure, The Drive?" I asked. "Yeah, Commercial Drive." she said. "Oh! Okay." she said. "Would you like a drink?" she asked. "Sure." "Okay, do you like juice?" she asked. "Yeah." I said, she poured us each a glass of juice. "Thank you," I said, as she handed me mine. "No problem." she said, sitting down with hers. "So when should we go? Around six maybe?" she said. "Sure." I said, I glanced at the clock, it was five. I grabbed the laptop and turned it on. After checking my emails and replying to a few friends, I opened up my nexopia account and showed her my blogs of layouts I made. "Those are cute, do you like computer technology like that?" she asked. "Yeah, I really enjoy computers and learning different things about them. I like to build my own website layouts and things like that. My friend said he could teach me how to build a computer if I bought the parts, but it would be pretty expensive." I said. "You could go into college for a computer tech course, a lot of people who do a computer technology course turn out to be very successful business people." she replied. "Yeah, that would be really fun." I said, considering the idea for a moment. "Yeah, you could learn a ton about computers and how they work, and everything." "Yeah." I said, beginning a new layout.

--CHAPTER 3 COMING SOON!--

No comments:

Post a Comment